Off the slopes of Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Sledging, ice skating and more
Certainly – a winter holiday in Garmisch-Partenkirchen should be spent where skiers and snowboarders are on first name terms with every snowflake: on the slopes. But all those who want to think outside of the box – and thus off the slopes – can look forward to so much more in the Bavarian winter wonderland. More adventure, more amazement, simply: more of winter!
Now, you’re thinking: We must be talking about cross-country skiing. Or winter hiking? Or maybe snowshoeing? Of course, you can do all of that to your heart’s content on holiday in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. But there are many other options for you to enjoy the snow and ice to the fullest – off the slopes!
The last time you swooshed down a descent on a sledge was when you were a little kid? Then it’s about time to enjoy this fun winter activity again! Whether it’s with your kids or your best friends – sledging is tons of fun for everyone. In Garmisch-Partenkirchen, you can choose from three sledge runs that’ll make your inner child squeal with excitement.
Tip: Sledges can be rented at the local ski schools!
Sledge run on the Kainzenbad
- length: 1,060 m
- difference in altitude: 180 m
- snow-groomed, natural sledge run
- no superelevated curves
- level of difficulty: The whole run is difficult; medium difficulty from the split time section onwards.
- partially suitable for kids
St. Martin on the Grasberg
- length: 1,600 m
- difference in altitude: 320 m
- non-groomed road to the Martinshütte on the Grasberg
- partially steep sections; the run intersects with walking trails (e.g. on the Kramerplateau trail) – watch out for pedestrians!
- level of difficulty: from medium to challenging
- partially suitable for kids
- length: 2,000 m
- difference in altitude: 280 m
- non-groomed road to the Partnachalm
- very steep section in the middle
- level of difficult: from easy (lower section) to difficult (middle section)
- only partially suitable for kids
Bobmuseum am Riessersee
- Im Museum sind 17 Bobs aus der Zeit von 1907 bis 1997 ausgestellt
- Umfangreiche Bilder-Ausstellung
- Historischer Film über die Olympischen Spiele 1936
- Die komplett erhaltene Rennstrecke kann mit festem Schuhwerk auf eigene Gefahr ganzjährlich mühelos begangen werden
Ice skating & ice stock shooting
You like to be on slippery ground during your holidays? Garmisch-Partenkirchen is perfect for you! Put on your ice skates, take your little or grown-up loved one(s) by the hand and go ice skating – tons of fun for the whole family!
The best location for practicing your pirouettes is the well-groomed rink at Garmisch Olympia Ski Stadium. What else can you do there? Test your skills at the secret Bavarian national sport: ice stock shooting! Upon request, it’s also possible at the Ice Hut on the Kainzenbad or at Lake Riessersee and Lake Pflegersee (if the condition of the ice allows it).
Horse-drawn sleigh rides
The gentle neighing of the horses, the crunching of the snow and the magical atmosphere of a snow-covered landscape: A horse-drawn sleigh ride is a romantic highlight for every winter holiday. A ride through the glistening white wintry Garmisch-Partenkirchen is not just something for love birds, though. Sleigh rides are an unforgettable holiday experience for kids as well!
Fackelwanderungen in der Partnachklamm
Atemberaubend, wie sich das Bild in der Klamm verändert, wenn es dämmert und der Lichteinfall im Sekundentakt ein anderer ist. Dieses Schauspiel ein ganz besonderes. Bei den geführten Fackelwanderungen kannst du Licht und Schatten besonders genießen. Das Licht der lodernden Fackeln brechen sich in den mächtigen Eiszapfen und zu glitzernden Vorhängen erstarrten Wasserfällen und erzeugen eine unvergessliche Atmosphäre.
Limitless winter fun
If you think the list is now complete, think again … you don’t have to look very far to find another fun winter activity to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen! One thing’s for sure: To get bored on a winter holiday in Bavaria would be quite the challenge.
There are simply too many ways to enjoy your time-off in the snowy landscape surrounding the Zugspitze. How about experiencing the wintry Garmisch-Partenkirchen from high above? During a breathtaking balloon ride or wintry paragliding flight, you’ve got the opportunity to do exactly that!
And if you prefer to look for variety indoors while it’s cold outside, you’ll find numerous options at the Bavarian holiday resort as well. From bouldering to bowling and from badminton to billiards: There’s plenty do – away from the ice and snow.
And after all the experiences and activities? You can relax at the amazing wellness and spa areas of the hotels in the area …